The Importance of Play!
Through play, children learn how to learn and how to do things, as well as having a lot of fun! Play is learning, trying, being and feeling. Children learn about themselves, others and the world through play. We pride ourselves on providing structured and imaginative play opportunities for the children at ABC. We create an atmosphere that encourages play and provide materials which children can explore and adapt. We ensure that we kepp the children safe in play and intervene when necessary.
There are different types of play;
- Quiet-e.g. picture and story books, pasta and bead stringing, puzzles, colouring.
- Creative-e.g. painting, drawing, music, use of imagination.
- Active-e.g. balls, riding scooters and bikes.
- Co-operative-e.g. team games such as football.
- Dramatic-e.g. dressing up, playing with dolls or action figures.
- Manipulative-e.g. puzzles, crayons, painting, cutting with scissors.
The staff at ABC plan to ensure that all types of play are available (although not always at the same time!) for the children at ABC.